It seems perfect that the next beautiful addition to the Sister Bees "hive" should be beeswax candles. With Kelly researching the benefits and hand crafting our first batches, we now offer BEESWAX candles!
And here's some convincing reasons why you WILL want to switch from paraffin to beeswax based candles too.
1. Beeswax is beautifully crafted by bees. What compares? It is estimated that the bees must fly 150,000 miles to collect enough nectar to produce six pounds of honey just to secrete one pound of wax. And for every 100 pounds of honey harvested, the beekeeper can only obtain about 1-2 pounds of the beeswax.
2. Beeswax candles are chemical-free and the oldest candle known to man. They are environmentally friendly and non-toxic. Beeswax burns very clean with little smoke when trimmed properly. They undergo zero chemical processing and are biodegradable. YAY!
3. In the Sister Bees manufacturing space, we smell beeswax as it melts each time we create, and I'll have to say, it's a fantastic perk to our job. The smell of the beeswax melting is amazing. So of course, this translates to fantastic smelling candles as well. They are naturally scented by the honey and floral nectar in the honeycomb making the scent a real winner......naturally!
Paraffin is an oil-based, highly refined petroleum by-product that contains up to 11 toxic compounds and chemicals such as benzene and toluene. To create paraffin from petrolatum, 100% industrial strength bleach is used, creating toxic dioxins. Acrolyn, a carcinogenic chemical is then added to make this white sludge solid. The end result is extremely toxic. The bees would be so disappointed.
4. Beeswax has a high melting point, in fact, the highest among all known waxes, which results in a significantly longer burn time. They also burn stronger and brighter, burning with the same light spectrum as the sun. I love this, and in MI, we need a little sunlight come January!
5. Beeswax candles are hypo-allergenic, which is great for all of us with environmental allergies, asthma, and sensitivities.
6. Beeswax originates from a renewable fuel, while yes, paraffin originate from a non-renewable resource - petroleum. Support the beekeepers, my friends, and buzz on over to sisterbees.com for a beeswax candle!