I love a big pot of soup simmering on a cold winter day. Because my husband is an educator, one of his summer hobbies is his beautiful big garden, raising meat chickens and egg layers. I love using a few of my own carrots, onions, chicken, and chicken stock to make this hearty, delicious soup.
Wild Rice & Creamy Chicken Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil & butter
- 1 onion diced
- 4 pieces of celery chopped
- 4 large carrots peeled and cubed
- 6 cups of bone broth chicken
- 3/4 lbs. chicken breasts* cubed
- 1-6 oz. box Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice
- 2 cups half and half (can be fat free)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- salt & pepper
- In a large pot, heat butter and olive oil. Saute onions, celery, and carrots for 10 minutes. Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Pour in chicken broth and cubed raw chicken. Raise temperature to medium high heat to poach chicken in cooking liquid. Once the chicken has cooked, pour in rice and seasoning packet from the box. Cover and reduce heat to simmer lightly for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In a small bowl, whisk cold half and half with flour until smooth. Pour into soup pot and reduce heat completely to low. Cook 10 minutes or until rice is softened completely and soup has thickened
I like to double this recipe on a weekend, making sure we can enjoy it for a couple of meals. So grab your favorite soup bowl, cozy up to the fire, and let's eat soup together.